Protect Your Parent-Child Relationship Through A Successful Custody Case
Whether your child custody issue is part of your divorce, you are a single parent or you need to address complications after a child custody order is already in place, this is a critical time for your family’s future. A divorce or separation should not mean that your child has to sacrifice parenting time and loving care of both parents, if possible.
At Zachary D. Smith, LLC, every recommendation we make will be with your child’s best interests and your parent-child relationship in mind. Our attorney, Zachary D. Smith, is a board-certified family law specialist. We pursue custody and visitation arrangements that center the child.
When Child Custody Cases Get Complex
As part of your divorce or separation, you will need a court order spelling out how you as parents will divide parental rights and responsibilities between two households. You and the other parent may iron out any disagreements through negotiations, collaborative law methods, mediation or a trial.
On the other hand, your child custody case may involve special factors such as one of the following:
- Your child custody problem crosses state lines. We have experience applying the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) to help our clients address co-parenting in different states, enforcement, modifications and more.
- Your child custody case is international in nature. As needed, we will apply the protections of The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction to resolve your family’s situation.
- Your child has special needs. We can help you pursue a child custody arrangement that minimizes disruptions for your child, whether they live with autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome or any other condition that impacts how they live their lives. If you are a parent of an adult child with special needs, we can help establish guardianship or contest a guardianship following divorce.
- You are a grandparent, aunt, uncle or someone else with a close relationship to a child whose home environment is currently unstable. You may not know whether you should seek child custody or a guardianship. Our child custody lawyers can help you determine the best path and then help you pursue it without delay.
- You need help with paternity determination, stepparent adoption, assisted reproductive technology (ACT) contracts for surrogates, genetic donors and intended parents or other special child-related legal issues.
Schedule A Consultation
We are a dedicated family law firm, and our attorney has the skills and persistence that you need to resolve your child custody case for your family’s sake.